From:
Cheri Casciola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 22:24:03 EST
I'm sorry I'm so far behind on reading emails... the holidays...

I am a 'survivor' of gigantomastia.  I've met w/ Dr. Craig - as I live in
Chandler, AZ.

I've also spoken w/ Dr. Ruth Lawrence and given her my case history.

I consider myself fortunate in many regards - I've had 4 babies - each time
my cup size went up drastically within 24-36 hours post birth.  I'd always
start out as a D cup  thru pregnancy (normally I'm barely a B) and w/ each birth
ended up becoming:  G, J, N, M cup size, respectfully.  The extreme cup size
would last between 7-10 days.  My breasts would then start to go down, however,
I would remain an 'F' cup for many months and then atrophy down to a double
AA.  Talk about empty saddle bags - all that extra skin and nothing to fill it
with.

I did not use medications.  Breastfeeding was TOO important and I was too
nervous that my supply would be permanently damaged if I did take bromocriptine.
I believe my long term supply was affected and I experienced many more bouts
of mastitis w/ each child.  I chalk this up to damaged milk ducts during the
connective tissue swelling.

This is not a case of oversupply - and actually the opposite can occur - due
to the swelling in the connective tissue - cuts off milk ducts.  I knew after
my 2d child that this was NOT normal engorgement and started my search for
anwers.

ICE ICE and more ICE is what worked best for me.  I went to a herbalist and
tried her types of remedies for swelling (prickly pear pads:  cut long ways and
placed on breasts; grated potatos in cheese cloth; red cabbage leaves; green
cabbage leaves).  None of this made a bit of difference.

I wish I'd known about RPS back then - but am glad to know that this might
work for my daughters/cousins/etc.  There is absolutely NO give to the breast
tissue which makes latch-on virtually impossible.

There's so much more to 'my' case stories.  I'd be happy to share and happy
to help.  I hope to someday be able to do further research and find something
that is helpful before my girls become mommies!

Shalom -
Cheri Casciola in AZ,  IBCLC, RLC, BS, LLLL