Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:27:38 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
hello,, very much similar to cases that have been discussed:

(permission to post)

have been working with a mother whose baby had initially been dealing with tongue tie, it was clipped after 6 weeks... but really really struggled to latch on even after frenetomy, had some facial asymmetry (lopsided smile, delayed smile on one side etc).. also, in self-latching, very slow to respond to breast, didn't display reflexes etc...(birth was c-section after a very  hard labour (for baby).... parents waited 6 hours before agreeing to c-section that dr was recommending) however, mom took him to CST and was a totally different baby...showed much better self-latching skills..the CST did work both on jaw and gut..and after several visits, CST happy with him and didn't ask mother back... however, still had to do a lot of work on latch... (a real tightness in lower jaw even post-CST) at 4mos old baby now fully breastfed, however, still has latch issues on one side.. but gaining loads of weight, and mom (who initially could barely tolerate his bad
 latch) says its fine... 

however, now she's dealing with new issue.. that is, he's started arching his back, a few minutes into the feed... obviously first thing that comes to mind is silent reflux.. mom (and dad) are *amazing* and so she has eliminated many of the common allergens from her diet.. but doesn't seem to see any difference (although she did comment that removing citrus has helped her eczema!)/// is also, trying to keep little one upright ...it has to be said though that she has had a very limited diet since he was born as she thought that the severe nipple pain was thrush at first.. 

and also, he's struggling in his sleep, wakes in distress, and is very noisy breather (symptoms suggest Laryngomalacia) but gp chalks it up to a baby's phlegmmy chest (which of course is normal for all babies because they're all struggling to digest bovine infant milk, right?;> ) and is unconcerned.. but has an appointment with paed for next week... 

now, i have no idea what paed will say, however, does anyone have any suggestions on interventions not related to giving baby antacid meds that mom can try if it does turn out to be silent reflux?  

mostly i'm posting because i do wonder that there is something bigger going on with this little tyke... but i'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experience or ideas... this is more of a learning exercise for me ...as i wouldn't want to scare mom with speculation... 

kind regards
georgia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2