From:
Linda Tandy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:59:31 -0600
I'm seeking some help from all of you, especially those who are MD's.
Yesterday I was treated very rudely by a pediatrician for a suggestion we
made regarding a very tight frenulum.  (Mom had sore, blistered nipples only
a few hours after initiating breastfeeding.)  This particular physician is
being very difficult, saying that my identifying this and suggesting the
mother have it evaulated is "never to happen again!"  She stated I am out of
line in my practice, and this procedure is "outmoded" and "unnecessary."

I had a nice thick file on this (including the 1990 JHL), however she wants
MEDICAL PEDIATRIC literature.  I searched on Pub Med, and found two articles
which were published in medical journals (neither of which are pediatric
journals, unfortunately.)  I have requested them from our library.
Fortunately, I have the support of the administration, however I need more
power.  Do any of the MD's on this list have information that would be
acceptable to her?  Perhaps a lecture or written recommendations?  I could
even give her a copy of an email from a physician on the list if that would
be mutually agreeable.

Just for the record, the mom went ahead and had the frenum clipped
(pediatric dentist) and the baby is nursing wonderfully!  He is transferring
milk, and mom's nipples are nicely healed. She is very grateful.  I just
know I haven't heard the end of this one yet.  Thanks in advance, you may
email me privately if you wish.

Linda J. Tandy, MSN, RN, IBCLC