Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 07:38:43 EST
Jeanette writes:

I was  told there was some confusion regarding Erythromycin
prophylaxis to prevent  Ophthalmia     Neonatorum. The AAP's Red Book on
Infectious  diseases is the final word on Pediatric     Infectious  Disease
management. It states " Delaying prophylaxis for as long as 1 hour  after
birth to facilitate parent-infant bonding is unlikely to influence  efficacy.
Longer delays     have not been studied."

For obvious medico-legal reasons, we cannot delay the eye  ointment
prophylaxis beyond 1-hour.

I've been in maternal child health for well over 35 years, and as long as I
can remember the "rule" has been, "within one hour," even when we were using
silver nitrate (nasty stuff!!).  My question is -- has there EVER been a
study on how late is too late to instill the drops, or has this always been
something that has been done because it is convenient and needs to be done  before
the baby leaves the delivery room -- so it won't be forgotten.   There are
quite a few things that are done like that -- for the convenience of  the staff
and so it won't be neglected.  I'd love to see the original  studies on the eye
prophylaxis and who came up with the hour limit and  why.

Does gonorrhea really proliferate at 61 minutes?

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA

Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)