From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:06:18 -0500
Jeanette makes a good point.  It does seem that in some cases the message seems to have come across that it is the milk that is important rather than the whole dynamic process of breastfeeding.  I would like to point out, however, another aspect that we must not overlook.  At least some of the women who are opting to exclusively pump and give that milk by bottle would be formula feeding if they did not have this option.  While I would love to see every mom/baby have the entire experience of breastfeeding, I would certainly prefer to seen them EPing rather than feeding comercially manufactured human milk imitations!  While researching this subject for a presentation at our ILCA Chapter, I had the opportunity to hear from several moms who were going this route.  What I found sad was the total lack of support some of them felt from the lactation community INCLUDING lactation consultants they had worked with or at least sought information from.  Some stated that if they had not stumbled on this possibility, they would have been formula feeding exclusively.  Let us not forget that between feeding directly at the brast and getting banked human milk, feeding mother's own milk be alternate means is the second choice.  Whether a mother takes this approach due to personal. social, psychological, physical (mom and or baby) or whatever reasons, she needs and deserves our support and full information (yes, including why this method falls short of direct breastfeeding as well as why it is preferable to formula feeding).  A past historof abuse is not the only reason women may be doing this.

winnie