From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:01:36 +0000
Tricia

I'm enjoying all the ideas you're sharing with
Lactnet.   And you make some excellent points in
describing the problems with the materials you're
managing to access, and how they don't fit your
needs.  I can certainly identify with this
experience.  When I was an IBCLC in a developing
country I experienced many of the same
problems.  Especially that almost all the info
sheets I managed to get hold of were excellent in
and of themselves, but they were just not quite
right for the needs of my own particular clients.

Firstly, they seemed to be written for very
sophisiticated settings, which took access to
pumps and other aids and devices, and indeed the
need for them, as a given.  Secondly they seemed
to be written from the perspective that
breastfeeding was unusual in some way.  Whereas
where I lived, breastfeeding was common and
normal, but breastfeeding gadgetry was almost
non-existent.   Furthermore, the US$$ cost of
buying these inappropriate and unsuitable written
materials was quite out of the question.

I solved the problem by writing my own.  Not only
can you tailor your own info to your client's
literacy level and lifestyle, you can use your
own discretion in deciding how much - or how
little - to say.   Compiling your own info saves
you paying royalties and copyright to someone
else.   Your own info with your own name/logo is
an effective form of advertising (I used to find
that new clients had photocopies of my existing
pamphlets so they obviously went the rounds, but
at least new mothers knew where to find
me....)  You can compile your own informational
sheets on various subjects, or you can devise
tear-off care plans for common breastfeeding
difficulties, leaving blanks to be filled in by
you according to your individual client
needs.  It takes time to research, sift and write
up what you want to say, and of course you must
give attribution if you use others' work in
compiling your own materials.  But hey!  No-one
else will say it quite like you do :-)

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England