From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:03:16 +0000
Rachel

As usual, you make a load of great points!  I'd just like to say,
however, that I've seen expressing during the day to save the milk
for later to really work.  For the mother that really feels
overwhelmed in the evenings, or would like someone else to take over
feeding the baby at _some_ time in the night.

Pumps and cleaning?  Not at all.  This is a good teaching moment for
manual expression, since the quantities are usually quite small (25
ml here and there).  Show the mother how she can can hand-express
into a little bowl, cover it, and leave it in the fridge, then Dad,
or whoever, can warm it up in a dish of boiling water later.   I
think the idea here is not for the mother to sit and bottle-feed her
own milk in the middle of the night, but to have someone else do it
(or finger-feed it, or cup-feed it) so she can catch up on some sleep.

This method keeps up the mother's milk supply.  The baby's entire
intake is produced by the mother, it's just taken at different times
by the baby.

In practice, I find most mothers become impatient with doing this
after a few weeks.  And they revert back to breastfeeding-direct all
the time.   But for those who become unglued by the thought of being
on call 26 hours a day, or for those who worry that they don't have
"enough" milk in the early evenings, even though we _keep_ telling
them that they produce low-volume, high-fat/calorie milk at that time
and this is _normal_ then it's another tool in the box to preserve
exclusive breastfeeding.

Just my 0.2 ml ......

Pamela