From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:25:42 EDT
Special thanks to Chris, Linda, Anna, Barbara and Sandra for your responses
re mom with infant with possible galctosemia (if I left anyone out-thank you,
too!)
Update is unfortunately still on hold-still waiting for lab results, despite
parents' talking with geneticist who said he'd try to get results quicker.
She did get values from original test: she stated she was told norm level of
enzymes is 3.5 and above and her baby's was 2.4 (I haven't had time to delve
into lab results nor detailed physiology so don't know how this relates to
confirming disorder or degree or it).

Mom is hanging in there, I call daily to offer support and any info I get
that may offer encouragement.  She is very grateful for all info and amazed
at Lactnet resources-I'm grateful, too!

I haven't expressed this to her but in the back of my mind I worry if it
turns out her baby can't BF, what about soy formula and all its inherent
risks?  Are there other alternatives?  This is a baby girl so I worry about
those phytoestrogens, not to mention genetic engineering.  And what of her
brief exposure already?  It's been a week today that's she's been off
breastmilk.  This mom is very "alternative" so would be open to alternative
treatment, say homeopathically or the like.

She expected to hear about results from cord blood sample last night and was
to call me after but I haven't heard so I'm nervously awaiting her call and
hoping her lack of calling means she was busy and not because it was bad news.

Will keep all informed of final outcome and again, what a wonderful resource
Lactnet is-thank you listmoms!

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY