From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 02:37:12 +0000
I, too, have had good success with finger feeding.  The typical infant is
male, screams and fights at breast.  I also saw this more commonly with
epidurals that were backed up with another dose shortly before delivery,
vacuum extraction also a common factor. (I've always wondered if others have
seen the same pattern). If you cup feed, he becomes as addicted to that as a
bottle!  Finger feeding reinforces BF position, closeness, smell and touch.
The longest hold out was a little boy who waited 18 days to forget why he
was mad at the breast. (Mom got quite expert at expressing).  We finally
tricked him onto the breast with a nipple shield with SNS tucked under it!
Mom got rid of the shield in about 2 days and he went on to nurse for almost
1 year.  I personally use cups if I just want to get calories and/or liquids
into  baby and finger feeding, if there is a suck problem.  I always prefer
to use mom's milk to increase the recognition of taste and smell.

Another thing that I noted at a hospital that had 75% epidural rate.  Their
babies were all encouraged to be put to breast in LDR room or recovery room.
Babies weren't wisked away to nursery for about an hour.  These babies
didn't seem to have the same "epidural effect" that I had seen frequently at
the other hospital where mother/baby separation was the rule after delivery.
The early opportunity to nurse had a significant impact on the infant's
ability to nurse.
Pat Young in SNJ, USA