From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 11:33:25 -0400
Diane, I appreciate the points you are making, but I do think that nipple
confusion does exist.

I've seen many babies who were given bottles before ever coming to the
breast (hospital policy in the old days) and watched how those babies
reacted when put to the breast. They pulled their tongues back (the normal
response to a bottle nipple) instead of coming forward and cupping the
breast nipple. That seemed to be the most common problem - not so much what
they did with their mouths in terms of opening wide for the breast, but what
they did with their tongues.

I have also seen a number of cases of mothers where breastfeeding was going
fine, and after a few weeks they decided to leave the baby for an evening or
a day and the baby was given bottles. They then reported suddenly getting
very sore nipples, and when I visited the baby's latch - which had been fine
before - was now terrible. Small mouth, tongue back, etc. Sometimes it took
a week or so to get the baby nursing well again.

Obviously, lots of babies do manage to switch back and forth between breast
and bottle. But in my experience there are clearly babies who find it a
struggle.

Teresa Pitman
Oakville, Ontario