From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 09:57:39 -0700
Thank you, Barbara, for your thoughtful post.

It is agonizing to consider the decision to give one
family donor milk over another and so easy to judge
the family or the system rather than the circumstances
that allow so many babies to want for milk and breast.
 As in other areas of consideration the decision must
be to feed the baby, not judge the mother.

As for our floundering skills in the area of bottles
(& formula) I can only say “how true!”  It certainly
is one of the tricky paths to walk:  to deliberately
step upon the “wrong” path with a mother and believe
that the course will be right in the long run.

Susan Johnson  MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, USA