Date:
Thu, 27 May 2010 14:51:16 EDT
At the risk of being extremely unpopular, I would posit that taking  an
exam that is given once a year that will either make or break your status as
an IBCLC is just SLIGHTLY different than attending a conference.

Many people who are very nervous about taking The Exam (or any  exam), and
who need to have the environment very quiet are going to be  completely
distracted or disturbed and lose their concentration and train of  thought if
the baby cries out, or makes normal baby noises, or gulps at the  breast or
anything else that go along with being a baby.

The IBLCE asks that if you are going to suck on hard candies during  the
exam that they are unwrapped from their paper so the crinkling does not
disturb the people around them.  Cracking gum during the exam is not  allowed.
The proctors are not allowed to carry on audible  conversations.  In the
early days, bottles of water were not allowed.

In other words, consideration for other exam takers is  important.  The
exam is important, expensive, and requires complete  concentration.  Loving
babies, nursing babies being "normal", being a  breastfeeding organization is
not the point here.  The point is taking a  once a year exam in which success
or failure can, for some people, hinge on one  question.

I have lectured over the happy and unhappy noises of many  babies.  There
are some mothers who are considerate to others and take  their babies out of
the room when they start wailing for whatever reason.   There are others who
believe it is their right to stay and listen to the  instructor because
their babies are "just being babies," and basically -- the  heck with whatever
other people think.

The IBLCE exam is too important for the livelihood and  professionalism of
the candidates -- they have prepared long and hard for this  day -- not to
mention spent a lot of money -- and it is our responsibility as  colleagues
to assure the best possible environment for them to take this  exam.

The IBLCE provides for mothers to be able to go out of the room and
breastfeed ad lib.  There is more than enough time to do that and to take  the
exam as well.

I'm sure the IBLCE would be glad to hire extra proctors and rent a
separate room for mothers and babies to take the exam if that is what people
desire -- but the cost will be reflected in much higher exam  costs.

(And I suspect, but I don't know for sure, that NOCA -- the  National
Organization of Certifying Agencies -- the organization IBLCE answers  to, may
have some rules regarding babies in the exam room).

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA -- and former IBLCE board member  (who has
taken the exam 4 times so far....next time -- 2012)