From:
Curtis A Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 14:37:50 -0700
I just saw a client who has sore nipples.  Infant is 10 days old, and has
gained weight well (is over her birth weight).  Mom's nipples protrude
minimally.  Baby latches on well.  During the first 5 minutes, Mom is in
pain and is crying.  After this period of time, the discomfort decreases
greatly, and mom is more comfortable.  When the baby detached herself from
the breast, there is a crack around the entire circumference of the nipple.
As the nipple is air drying, it retracts to its former position, and you
can't see the raw area/scab.  The other nipple is the same--you can't see
the raw area or scab initially, just after the baby feeds.  What suggestions
would give this mom?
She has tried pumping--same amount of pain initially with pumping as the
nipples are being pulled out.  I suggested that she might try using warm
moist heat or soaking each nipple prior to nursing to soften the scabs, try
nipples rolling to pull out her nipples.  We tried the "nipple sandwich"
technique on the 2nd side feeding with some success to provide support for
the nipple--decrease in pain.  She will try lanolin or olive oil post
feeding.  She has plastic milk cups, but has not been using them.  She will
try these again.  How does one keep the nipple from retracting back in while
one is air drying the nipples?

Linda Moore, RN, IBCLC

P.S.  The tulip fields in the Skagit Valley are still blooming and look
beautiful.  It is warm--in the mid-60's