From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:55:09 +0200
I am neither a pediatrician nor a special care baby nurse.  As a midwife and
IBCLC I wonder why expressed breastmilk could not be skimmed and then
included in the baby's feeds.  They do it with cow's milk, after all, and it
could hardly be more difficult for the baby to tolerate?  It could also
provide her with fresh antibodies missing from a commercial product.  I
would at least ask the docs about it.

About keeping baby used to the breast, if Katarina's condition permits she
should be able to receive her NG tube feeds while lying with cheek in
contact with the breast, which I imagine would benefit both Eva and
Katarina.  I would be hesitant to withdraw the pacifier if she truly must
not suckle on anything else, and try to trust that babies learn the
difference between suckling which fills their mouths with milk, and suckling
on an inert object that doesn't give them satiety.  Katarina will likely
need more time than a 46-chromosomed baby might, so she is blessed in having
a sibling who is keeping her milk supply on tap until she is ready to help
herself to it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Katarina,
Rachel Myr (midwife and IBCLC)
Kristiansand, Norway