From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 09:50:57 -0500
>at week 2 stools started to smell worse than formula stools although
>color and consistency of regular bf stools.  baby also has rash

Pat -

I had a client whose baby's extreme evening fussiness vanished within 24
hours of removing dairy.  But his stinky stools remained, and we figured it
was some other sensitivity that we hadn't located.  Since he had no other
symptoms, she opted just to live with stinky stools.  At a year and still
nursing, the odor had pretty much disappeared.  I don't recall her
reporting any problems with solids.  In *this* case, she decided if it
wasn't affecting behavior or development, why worry about it?  In *your*
client's case, following that same logic, you could say let's try to clear
the rash.  If the stool odor also clears, great.  If it doesn't, we can
decide separately how to deal with that.

Interesting side note I just thought of:  she had thrush and related nipple
pain that didn't clear totally until 9 months (when she tried taking
nystatin capsules.  Gentian violet and topical nystatin for mom and baby
hadn't worked, didn't want to do diflucan, no plaques in baby's mouth at
any time).  Could the smell possibly have been yeast related??  She's no
longer in town to ask re timing of smell clearing and soreness clearing.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY