From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 17:05:57 -0400
Dear Mary, thank you for being brave and sharing.  As a long time depression
sufferer I know how you feel when people say fix it with therapy or just get
yourself out of it.  I know it is brain chemistry and I take my med every
day, just as I would take my insulin every day if I was deficient in
insulin.

Interestingly you can look back through my family and see a trail of
depressive and bi-polar people.  I get very annoyed with my mom when she
tells me I should be able to do without my meds after all this time.  I'm
happy and I function just fine,  thank you. She's sad and depressed and just
doesn't get it.  As I've said to one of my children I couldn't stand to be
so unhappy all the time.  (He is bipolar and self medicates with alcohol -
duh).  (We also have strong genes for diabetes and altzheimer's :-(

These are complex problems and our views of them are skewed by various and
assorted "facts" that have accumulated along the way (thanks Dr. Freud et
all :-(  Can't think of how to relate this to BF because my last baby was
long weaned when I was finally dx :-)  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ