Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2013 08:42:44 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
I would be very scared to use the milk that was exposed to mold, but I also would be scared to use artificial milk, all because the infant is a very preterm infant.
I am not sure what the proper protocol would be, however, I would be inclined to have the exposed milk pasteurized by one of the home methods. The milk now pumped with the clean kit should be used, and possibly interspersed with the pasteurized milk, but giving a predominance of fresh milk.
Of course, of critical importance is the education of the mother on the proper care and cleaning of her pump parts, the pump body, handling of the milk, etc. And tracing back to where and why the lack of education occurred.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
BMH-UC Breastfeeding Resource Center
 "Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of BMH-Union County or Baptist Memorial Healthcare Corporation."

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not permitted to use, copy, or forward it, in whole or in part without the express consent of the sender. Please notify the sender of the error by reply email, disregard the foregoing messages, and delete it immediately.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2