From:
Laurie Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2013 08:42:44 -0500
I would be very scared to use the milk that was exposed to mold, but I also would be scared to use artificial milk, all because the infant is a very preterm infant.
I am not sure what the proper protocol would be, however, I would be inclined to have the exposed milk pasteurized by one of the home methods. The milk now pumped with the clean kit should be used, and possibly interspersed with the pasteurized milk, but giving a predominance of fresh milk.
Of course, of critical importance is the education of the mother on the proper care and cleaning of her pump parts, the pump body, handling of the milk, etc. And tracing back to where and why the lack of education occurred.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
BMH-UC Breastfeeding Resource Center
 "Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of BMH-Union County or Baptist Memorial Healthcare Corporation."

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not permitted to use, copy, or forward it, in whole or in part without the express consent of the sender. Please notify the sender of the error by reply email, disregard the foregoing messages, and delete it immediately.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email...