From:
"Krainz, Mary Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:00:01 -0600
Hi everyone, I have searched the achieves and didn't see anything on
providing unpasturized milk for a hospitalized baby.

Mother gave permission to post: We have a mother of a hospitalized 26 week
premature (now 5 months old) and despite doing everything to provide milk
for her ill baby is now running low on supply. She continues to work on
bringing the supply up but it may be necessary to complement her baby with
additional milk. She doesn't want to use formula and her 2 sisters who also
delivered about the same time would be glad to give their extra milk to the
hospitalized nephew.

We don't have a milk bank close and we haven't a way currently of
pasturizing her expressed milk. What would you suggest be the hospital's
protocol? Or does anyone have a protocol in place for these situations?
Thanks so much, Mary Ann RN, IBCLC in central WI, USA