From:
Annie Versteeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:35:31 EST
In a message dated 2/25/04 7:57:40 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Dear Friends:
>     Can anybody explain to me why infant and child clothing has to be
> treated
> with flame retardant chemicals in the first place?
>     If the baby was in a burning house, the chemicals wouldn't save a life.
>     warmly,

My understanding is that some fabric will catch on fire more readily than
others.   As for instance being too close to a candle or some sort of flame..
from the stove while in mom's arms?   Whatever, it is not meant to save a child
from a house burning down but to lower the chances of the clothing catching on
fire from some random means. Some fabric is highly flammable.   I used cotton
long johns that clearly stated, "Not intended for use as sleep wear"   I knew
I was safe then!! If my house is on fire, the least of my concerns will be the
type of pjs my kids are wearing.
Annie VerSteeg IBCLC