Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:33:41 -0400
This is a baby with good verbal comprehension.  The mom can insist, over and
over, on "gentle" and "wide mouth" and model what she means while she goes
over the words, even if it means taking the baby off when things get pinchy
and offering a reminder as they start again.

Has this baby possibly chipped any teeth?  The lower teeth aren't a problem
during actual bfing because the tongue covers them, but the upper ones can
hurt if they're unusually sharp.  A couple seconds with an emery board takes
care of any sharp bits.

Does bfing really hurt, or is mom just distressed to see toothmarks on her
breast?  I had a call from one mother who *thought* she must be in pain
because there were marks after nursing.  I suggested she rest her fingernail
tips on her arm, with nothing more than the dead weight of her arm.  That's
quite enough to leave fingernail *marks*, but it doesn't *hurt* at all.
Once she knew it was okay to see the marks, she was fine.

And by the way, both my children *did* leave marks, though the only pain I
ever had was from chipped teeth, quickly remedied as above.  What about the
rest of you?

--
Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com