From:
Elizabeth Milne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:43:30 +1000
Hi Pat

Congratulations of your new grandchild!  It is wonderful that your daughter
has you to offer her encouragement and support.

Your daughter may find that her supply is increased if she is able to pump
directly after spending time with the baby, preferably skin to skin if baby
is well enough.

The skin to skin contact, as well as being enjoyable for both mother and
baby, increases maternal oxytocin levels.  It can also be a valuable
learning tool for the baby - even small babies who are not up to
breastfeeding yet, can benefit from "practice sessions" where they can
smell, lick, nuzzle and even attach to the breast.

If baby is not up to this yet, any time spent holding / touching the baby
can help mum's oxytocin levels.  Sometimes taking a small toy or blanket
that has been in the baby's crib and having that to hold whilst expressing
can have a similar effect on mum's oxytocin levels.

I am sure your daughter and grandchild will benefit enormously from your
experience and support.

Liz

Elizabeth Milne
ABA Counsellor
Sydney, Australia
(and waiting impatiently for the IBLCE results!)