From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:55:25 -0400

Hi Ali,

Regarding your post:

>>A friend of mine was refused permission to nurse in Victoria's Secret at
Boston's Faneuil Hall. Jessie is mother to a lovely baby girl, Charlotte.

She asked the clerk at VS if she could use a changing room for a moment to
calm and nurse her little girl, and was told that company policy prohibited
breastfeeding because it is unsanitary; she was directed towards a bathroom
instead. Jessie says, "During this entire exchange my DD had tears streaming
down her face, eyebrows bright read and nuzzling my chest. I tried once more
to nurse her outside, but she just wouldn't take to it. It's so hot there
and can be very crowded."

Given that this exact same scenario played out last year in South Carolina
and resulted in a breastfeeding-in-public law being passed, well, you'd
think Vic's would have learned their lesson, but apparently mamas in
Massachusetts are going to have to repeat it for them. Our state currently
has an NIP bill which is languishing in committee, and we are hoping to use
this as a tipping point. This mama is willing to go the distance.

 If anyone has advice, strategies, etc that they would be willing to share,
please drop me a line!

Ali Crehan Feeney, CLC<<

For the time being:  I would recommend that the women in your state NOT ask
for permission; that way they can't be refused.  A mom can pick up a piece
of clothing, even the wrong size, and go into the Fitting Room and BF, for
as long as necessary.  Who would know what she is doing?  Everyone would
just be happy that the crying stopped.

As for the law:  My suggestion would be to pursue that.  It is so
worthwhile.  However, be forewarned that it may not solve all the problems
with NIP.  NY State has a law as part of the citizen's Civil Rights and
women are still harassed for public BF.  My daughter had such an experience
last year when her daughter was about 4 months old.  It happened in FAO
Schwarz in NY City.  Afterward, she asked me for a copy of the law
protecting her right to BF anywhere she has the right to be.  She carries
that paper in her diaper bag and will pull it out if necessary.  Also, I
called the store and informed them of the law and the penalties for
violating a Civil Rights law (up to $5,000 and/or 5 years in jail).  It
might help if women in your area did the same thing after the law is passed.
I always do it in a friendly manner and with concern for the store's
reputation.  I also mention that "nurse-ins" have been organized due to
similar incidents elsewhere.  The stores usually don't like the idea of bad
publicity.

I wish the Dept of Health in each state would come up with a laminated card
for women to carry to protect their rights according to their state's BF
law.  Being able to show the card would also help if the police became
involved.  Of course, it would be much easier if we had national protection
for NIP; then one card would suffice for all the states in our country.
Good luck in your efforts!

Lee Galasso, MS, IBCLC, RLC