From:
Christine A Raasch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:48:52 -0500
Dear Colleagues

I received a call today from a mother of a 9 month old who was seen at a
community hospital ER for chest pain.  The diagnosis was that the muscles
under her breasts are pulling away from her chest wall because of her
large breasts (DDD).  The physician orders were to 1.  Get a better
supporting bra, and 2.  Wean baby ASAP.

She doesn't want to wean and I supported her continued nursing.  The
infant is nursing about 3 to 4 times per day and mother feels it is more
comfort nursing.  Infant is drinking from a sipper cup, won't take
formula and has been started on solids.

Since she wasn't seen at her hospital and by her physician, she will be
doing this next.  Do you have any thoughts to help cope with her back
pain (which is what the pain really is) while she continues to nurse her
infant?

Thank you for your input.

Christine A. Raasch, RN, IBCLC
Menomonee Falls WI