From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2019 14:59:58 -0700
Hi Nikki,

So UTI/kidney infections occur in infants because of contamination from the
GI tract into the urethra. Sometimes there is some kind of physical
abnormality that makes it more likely that bacteria will find their way
into or remain trapped in the urinary tract. The type of antibiotics used
to treat the infection is usually based on the antibiotic sensitivity test
done on the organisms involved. Treatment is very important because
prolonged infection can cause permanent damage to the kidneys. Also,
systemic sepsis often arises from a UTI in compromised individuals,
including infants whose immune systems are not yet fully developed.

Sharon Knorr, BSMT(ASCP), BfUSA Counselor
Loveland, Colorado, USA