Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 22:42:18 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (62 lines)
Dear all:

I happen to be pretty cheap and lazy so I thought I'd throw out my cheap and lazy mom tricks.  I 
really should patent the idea, but I'm a lousy business woman and don't care.  

The cheap Hands-free bra for women with medium to small size breasts:

1) Use an old camisole top with a shelf bra inside.  
2) Put it on mom, and life up the top so you can put two dots with a felt tip pen on the shelf bra 
where her nipples are.
3) Cut two 3/4 inch diameter holes through the shelf bra piece.  Do not cut the holes larger, 
because they will streatch.

Mom can wear the top lounging around the house or the hospital room.  When she needs to 
pump, she lifts up the top part, puts the breast shields underneath the shelf bra and pokes the 
cylinder that sticks out from the shield through the holes in the shield bra.  She never has to take 
the bra off and it is usually comfortable for most mothers who have medium to small breasts.  
Some very large elastic breasted women also find it comfortable, but many will need more support 
like the classic Hand's Free bustier type arrangement.

For the mom who wants to throw her money around - she can always pick up a trendy pretty top 
and cut the holes through the shelf bra.  Sports bras also work fine.

For the mom who is embarassed by nipples showing through a single layer of fabric, she can cut 
the holes a little off center, move the holes over for pumping and then pull the fabric of the shelf 
bra part back over her nipples.  

Any father that has ever watched Austin Powers immediately mentions the Fembots when he sees 
this arrangement.  One mother claimed that there was a 007 or perhaps an old Pink Panther from 
which the Austin Powers movie stole the idea - only it wasn't guns it was knives.  What an image!!

I also want to reiterate that I discovered that the angled breast shields work really well with this 
arrangement for moms that are not allowed out of bed.  My friend who just had twins loved it 
because she could be at a 30 degree angle and the cylinder coming out of the shields tilted 
straight down into the bottle.

Speaking of which - Diane Wiesseninger would have been proud of this one.  My husband, my son 
and I went to see my friend with the twins now that they're at home.  We sat around eating lunch 
while our sons played.  My friends did a perfect version of a Rebecca Glover style latch, but more 
baby led as Diane described at her talk here in Manhattan.  She did it one handed with the 
smallest bit of tweaking from me.  I just had her tuck their bottoms a little further around her side 
and readjusted the hand position a tad so their necks were more extended.  While chatting over 
lunch mom was able to eat a full meal and each babies fed sequentially, swallowing nicely.  
They're not to full feeds yet, but close.  She used no pillows and barely pushed to get them on.  I 
actually think it was far more effective eating lunch with her making a comment here and there 
than the concentrated focus on the latch visits when I do consultations.  It was a total right-brain 
experience and very relaxed.  Would that it was always like this. 

Best, Susan Burger.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2