From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 06:46:11 -0400
Dear Lori, 30 + years ago when the childbirth education movement started in
the US, many of us formed small groups of interested parents.These groups
were formed because dad was excluded from the birth, mom was separated from
her baby and we all know what the typical one week hospital stay did for
BF.

These groups sponsored very consumer oriented childbirth classes.  These
classes were successful and brought about many changes in the hospital type
deliveries (re: dads in delivery room, LDRs etc).  The classes were then
co-opted by the hospitals and have become what you see and hear now,
exactly what the physicians want mom and dad to hear.

I've said it before and I will say it again, it is time for a new
childbirth revolution!  Parents are being sold a bill of goods, just like
we were 30-40 years ago- that dr knows best.  And you see what we get -
unempowered women, dads as an afterthought or spectator, gorky babies who
can't figure out what to do at the breast.  The only improvement I see is
that most babies get to the breast quicker to find out they don't know what
to do with their mouth!  (As opposed to 24 hours delay to the breast 40
years ago)

Childbirth classes need to be offered by independent (of the hospital and
docs) qualified instructors.
They need to be off the hospital premises.  They need to be consumer
oriented.  I don't think many people have given a lot of thought to how
tied to the childbirth "industry"  classes have become.  But they are
watered down pap serving the wrong masters.

Have to get off my soapbox now, the air is thin up here, I have a cold and
it's making me cough :-(  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ