From:
Michelle DePesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 22:45:56 -0500
Smack dab in the aftermath of the Dr. Phil edit-a-thon, my East Village Inky
arrived today - this is a self published zine by Ayun Halliday, the author
of The Big Rumpus (a HIGHLY recommended mothering book with a "breastfeeding
as wonderful norm" chapter). On the inside page she says:

"I was recently offered [a lucrative freelance gig] by a huge, mainstream
parenting magazine which wanted me to write the pro-mammary half of a breast
vs. bottle point/counterpoint article on the condition that I "pull out all
the stops & really bash the bottlefeeders!!!" (Skwew [sic] that! We mothers
need to pull together, not go for each other's jugulars (or jugs, as the
case may be. The editor cheerily informed me that she had lined up someone
prepared to rip us breastfeeders to shreds.))"

hmmm... so *that's* how they do that  :^)

The breastfeeding advocate comes off as mean, strident and zealous, and the
bottlefeeding advocate less so since the magazine is FULL of formula adverts
(as well as having majority rule). Of course anything set up as "pros and
cons" is already losing since there are no "cons" to breastfeeding we know,
except to the multinationals.

Michelle DePesa