Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:45:43 EST
Dear Elisheva-
     I have a friend who is also my children's pediatrician.  She is currently
breastfeeding her 8 month old girls---all three of them!  She also has two
older  (4 and 7) boys and works part-time in a busy pediatric practice.
     She uses a nurse-mates pillow (Brand name used on purpose here---it's
wider than many others) and nurses two at once.  The third sucks on a sisters
thumb, or toes, or sleeve until it's her turn.  When one pulls off, bites, or
gets sleepy, the one who is waiting gets "her" breast, and then has dessert on
the one vacated by her other sister.  Sometimes a baby will come back a time
or two.  You know how babies will often nurse, seem satisfied, then cue hunger
again a short time later as the cholecystakinine levels return to baseline?
After a short break, one may be ready to return to the breast, just as a
sister is ready for *her* break.  They often stroke each other while they
nurse, and offer a thumb to the baby-in-waiting  to tide her over.  Very
sweet!
     As they are bigger now, they do interesting things like stroking the
breast to increase flow---sort of a baby-led breast compression!
     In the early months, my friend tried to nurse each one alone, one time
each day.  She enjoyed the one-on-one time with each little girl.
    LLLI has some older articles written by mothers of triplets.  I have
copies that I like to give moms with "great expectations", to encourage them
and let them know that breastfeeding their babies can be done and is even
desirable!  They may not hear that anywhere else.
     Once you have one mother of three who breastfeeds and enjoys it, she may
be willing to be a resource for other moms.  Good luck!
---Debi Page Ferrarello, RN, IBCLC
    Abington, PA   Outside of Philadelphia, another IVF capital!