From:
Carol Schlef <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 15:06:44 -0500
Hi all,

Being the "queen" of laziness when it came to bf my kids, I developed a way
of nursing in bed that also complies with the "safe sleeping" guidelines. I
call it the "Taco Technique".

Have mom lay on her side, on the side where she plans to bf first. Take a
receiving blanket, folded in a triangle, and tuck a corner of the triangle
under mom at the level of her breast. The long (folded) edge of the blanket
should be toward her head. With me so far?

Place baby on blanket (facing mom's breast), wrap blanket around baby & tuck
that corner under mom as well. This is the "taco": baby is the meat, blanket
is the tortilla.

Baby is now anchored against mom's side--can't roll onto tummy, & mom CAN'T
roll over on baby. Baby also can't roll away from mom & off bed/couch. May
need to place small folded pad under mom's breast or baby's head to get both
at same level.

I point out that this meets safe sleeping guidelines if done on firm
mattress (NOT waterbed) or between mom & edge of couch (NOT wedged at back
of couch). Other safety points: baby can't end up wedged at head of bed or
down under covers, or on dad's side of bed where rolling over may be
possible. Mom can roll to her back, & blanket "points" still keep baby
secure near her.

Emphasize if mom is mentally altered by drugs/alcohol/EXTREME fatigue, she
shouldn't be holding OR laying with baby without baby being secured.

Have any of y'all tried anything like this? I've been using/teaching it for
11+ years, with lots of success.

Smiles,

Carol

Carol Schlef, RNC, MSW, IBCLC
Humor, Health & Hugs
St. Louis, Missouri USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Let Carol provide YOUR group with edutainment for your corporate or
community needs!