From:
Celina Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 16:03:45 -0500
In the US I order 36" #5 fr. feeding tubes from imed. for less than $2.00 each so ordering in bulk is better for shipping (it costs around 12.00 for 1 or for 20). They have worked better than anything else in a temporary situation and I've seen mothers' milk supplies come up remarkably quickly as it is inserted after feeding at both breasts using breast compressions. Definitely a cost effective solution for a temp. problem. Baby will always latch without it as he/she doesn't depend on its being attached to receive milk. This link shows a video of insertion. I know moms that are quite slick at getting it in after a bit of practice and  patience and practice are the keys. The shorter, 15" ones are not convenient and are more expensive.

http://nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=6&Itemid=13

it is probably the same video you have seen, but warrants watching over a few times. Ideal, in my mind, would be having a friend, coworker or one's self insert it a few times for practice. Dr. Newman's instructions, if I have this right, are to insert at the corner of the mouth aiming toward the roof of the mouth . It is satisfying to watch the milk coming flying up.. and its always great to see parents' eyes when they see baby swallowing regularly so they know baby is getting what they need at the breast.. quite a simple tool.  Making sure latch is excellent is imperative and is the key component to using it successfully.

Most of all, I love that parents do not have to spend a lot to get past a glitch in the works.

Celina D, IBCLC, LLLL