From:
Heather Mace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:36:08 -0500
Marianne, I think your math is right on the mark and something I have heard from many
physicians.  If the odds are 99% success, but you end up in the 1%, then bad outcomes
for YOU are 100%.  It is an individualized answer every single time.

Sometimes, I think that can be so important for a woman to hear.  Offering statistics is
just a guess and the truth is that we don't KNOW how it will turn out.  It is absolutely
crucial that our communication skills are able to keep pace with our knowledge, or it will
all be lost on a worried mother.

Warmly,
Heather