From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 12:44:11 -0700
Just adding a bit of my history (a bit late probably, but I just was able to
ask my mom).  She states of course I got homemade formula (born in 1965) we
couldn't afford commercial aim and it was Pet milk, sugar (couldn't afford
karo syrup) and water.  Solids started around 3 months - when I was weaned
from breast millk for slow weight gain (starving - according to dr)
strangely the same as my daughters weight gain.  But she can't remember if I
had no food or not during my first 24 hours.  But going back to some one's
comment about pregnancy weight gain and baby's reserves - my mother was a
clinic patient (read medi-cal) no one told her to watch her weight so she
gained a total of 30 lbs during her pregnancy (which sadly brought her total
weight up to 115 lbs at 9 months - do the math to understand her proverty
level and she is 5' 6").

As for GBS transferred through breast milk - I thought that was ruled out
years ago when all the public awareness about GBS was started?  Since a
baby's birth infection can have 2 versions, as it were - early onset -
within the first days after birth and late onset up to a couple of weeks
after the birth.  Both occuring from infection acquired at birth.  My memory
may be spotty on this but since I have been a cbe for over 10 years I was
reading everything that came out about it - never was it stated about
transmission from breastfeeding - all research showed it was only
transmitting during birth or if the water was broken for 18+ hrs GBS could
migrate into the uterus and infect the baby before (why some c-section
babies were infected) and sadly also causing some stillbirths.  So the idea
of it being transmitted by breastfeeding seems to be a cause of blaming the
breastfeeding and the mother could have become infected from the baby or any
opening in the nipple (from any damage) while in the hospital - it can also
infect c-section incisions (if they cultured why some of these GBS positive
moms had an incision infection).  It's not unheard of for a mom w/a vaginal
yeast infection to transfer yeast to her nipples or baby's bottom if hand
washing isn't at infection prevention standards (warm water, soap, lathering
for long enough before rinsing) why not GBS also?

Just my thoughts and .02 of my opinion.

Felicia Henry, BCCE, IBCLC
Oxnard, CA