From:
Heather Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 13:07:02 -0400
Hi-
Newer member, infrequent poster here.

I belong to an e-mail list called "One Million Moms", a neighbor sent it to me and I signed up. The idea behind the group is to get "one million" moms to sign up to take part about once a week with a letter campaign against something offensive in the media (TV esp.). Yes, it's yelling out against censorship but so far it's been a great cause. One recent campaign got Abercrombie and Fitch (clothing retailers) to stop making their thong undies with the words "eye candy" for girls age 6-12! Can you believe they even made these anyway? Regardless, to get back on topic my question is this:
does anyone think that WE could get something like this going for breastfeeding promotion? What would be the downfalls? With the million moms someone writes a short, direct well written letter and then sends a notice out to all the people on the list to send the letter onto the address they post with the letter (so someone is responsible for finding out the e-mail addresses of the companies for everyone to send their pre-made letter to).
There are how many people on this list? If even only half participated, and then we got other mom's involved (from other big breastfeeding web sites like breastfeeding.com and Promom.com, my 2 fav's) we could REALLY make a difference!
Just like with the propane company, if they had 2,000 women writing in to tell them how their TV ad promoting formula was offensive, they would probably pull it. So far the million mom thing has had almost all the companies we directed letters to pull or stop their ads. Just a thought! Anyone else with anything to add, maybe to get this to where it's doable or know something were we could not do it?
Thanks for your time, I just thought this might be a highly effective way to  do a BIG pro-breastfeeding campaign. We are out there, let's be heard in a big cohesive way!

Heather Davis, RN
South Carolina