From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:57:27 -0600
Nikki writes: "(and herbs are medications)."

Not to be obnoxious, but according to the laws in the United States, herbs
are NOT medictions, or at least they are not DRUGS.  Drugs are substances
the Food and Drug administration controls.  Herbs are classified as "food
supplements" and are officially NOT drugs.

Just last week the US Supreme Court declared that nicotine is not a drug,
and as such, the FDA has no legal authority to control the marketing and
sale of cigarettes.  Now it is up to the US Congress to specifically give
the FDA the right to control nicotine.

I think you are overly concerned, Nikki, about the legal consequences of
what you say/recommend.  What if you recommended to a tired mother that she
eat more protein and she ate some peanut butter and had an anaphylactic
reaction?  Sure, she might sue you, but it wouldn't stand up in court.  I
don't think that anyone can be held to account for the adverse consequences
of recommending food or herbal supplements.  It is only when something gets
classified as a prescription drug, and has controlled access, that you can
get into trouble for it.

But then, I'm not a lawyer, and I don't have to worry about anyone suing me.

-------
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email:
Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html