From:
Jaye Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:24:51 -0700
Hi All,
Wanted to share with you (with moms permission) a short story.

I saw this mom first 4 yrs ago with her 3rd baby.  Corrected a few minor
issues, mom had large nipples, but with asymmetric latch, baby was able to
manage.  Mom has 4th baby 7 wks ago.  Classic case of 'oro-boobular'
dysfunction with nipples being larger with this baby than the last.  Baby
had had wt loss issues, mom's supply had crashed, baby had to be
supplemented (this is a VERY Pro-BF family), mom pumping around the clock,
on herbs, etc., waiting for grow time for baby.  Mom worked with another
awesome LC this time around but kept thinking about me 'cause I came to her
home last time.

She called me 3 wks ago to get more info and for validation of her situation
- I agreed with everything the other LC had recommended - and that I would
love to come to her home and help her in her surroundings.  She had the flu
and told me she'd call me when she got better.

She called me today with complaints of nipples still being sore with L-O -
can I come out today?  Sure!

I see a baby who looks fine - mom had stopped supplementing and was now
exclusively BF for the past 4 days.  Weight gain was fine, corrected L-O and
positioning - love the "Wow!  It doesn't hurt!" moments...

SO, as they were nursing, mom says lovingly to baby (and I Quote) "You're
entitled to this milk, Sarah...it was made just for you!"  I LOVED this
statement as asked her if I could share it with my colleagues, she said yes.
I asked her where she picked this up.  She said she found it herself and
this statement to her daughter (said every day, several times) was what kept
her going through the several weeks of stress, pumping, supplementing and
worrying.  This statement is what she told herself EVERY time she thought
about quitting and giving the baby ABM...

Wow.  Now here she is, 7 wks later, baby took almost 3 oz at breast, weight
is fine, BF is now comfortable...mom is thrilled - and so am I...

Warmly,
Jaye Simpson, IBCLC, RLC
What a way to end my day!