From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:19:59 -0500
When my grandson was born two months prematurely, we were wondering about
this issue. One doctor recommended that he should start solid foods at 4
months from his birth (this would make him 2 months corrected age!); his
thinking was that he had not received the added nutrients he would have
gotten if he'd gone full term so he needed solids earlier. We could not find
any research that really addressed the risks and benefits, so my
daughter-in-law decided to approach as we would with any other baby: she
took her cues from the baby.

While food was made available to him, he didn't show any interest or begin
eating until he was 9 months old. That was 7 months corrected age. She had
been having his iron levels tested and it was just about this time that it
dropped significantly - I don't know if that's why he started to become
interested in solid foods or not, but if not it's an interesting
coincidence!

Teresa Pitman