From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 06:49:51 -0500
Dear Miriam, I did home health vss in Detroit from 1993-1994 for a 24 hour
discharge plan.  When I saw baby in next 24 hours I usually saw a small
weight decrease.  By day 4 I came to expect birthweight or higher.  If it
was lower it was a major red flag with what was going on with the nursing.
Very, very few of those tho.  Would make an interesting study.  However I
only saw moms on weekends for initial vss, with follow ups fitted in during
week.  And I only have records of moms I saw, not sure what others saw.
Felt watching a nursing and adjusting position, latch etc. early on in
mom's home, with her comfortable and in charge was part of what made the
difference.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ