From:
JOKR PANZER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:00:31 +0000
Speaking with a mom by phone today, referred by baby's ped. Baby has bits of
blood in stool and there is a significant hx of dairy allergy in family, so
mother has eliminated dairy at peds suggestion, awaiting improvement, none
so far, day 4. Meanwhile, baby seems to have classic symptoms of lactose
overload: green watery diapers are the norm, fussy at breast/wrestles with
breast, gained over 2lbs in first four weeks. Skin is clear, I am not yet
convinced this is an allergic reaction...
What confounds me is this: mom reports production has significantly declined
in left breast since milk came in. Left breast is smaller and less full than
right. Mom has been offering left more frequently to try to "even them out."
Right breast continues to produce, always feels full, never empty. Baby will
only nurse for a few minutes on left breast, pulls off wanting more, mom
offers right and the wrestling match begins.......I want to recommend the
ususal overproduction mgmt strategies but I am not sure how to tailor it or
even if it fits at all, given the low production in left breast. Mother
states left breast was always a bit smaller, before pg and lactation, cannot
recall any injury or trauma.
thank you for your help!
Kristen Panzer, MS, IBCLC