From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:36:18 -0500
I wanted to add a little bit considering Karleen's post about breast shields.  I find the terminology
of shields and shells incredibly confusing because it is not obvious what the function of the device
is from the terminology.  I still have to look it up in Lawrence or Riordan and Auerbach or look on
the box it came in when I'm in a mentally deficient state.  I can sort of understand nipple shields
because, in theory, it shields the nipple from trauma.  When it comes to shells and shields for the
breast, it doesn't make sense to me.  Why do the pump companies call what Lawrence calls the
"flange", the breast "shield"?   Its not shielding the breast from anything - the breast "shield"
plastered to the breast & pulling milk out.  Then in my mind, breast "shells" really do "shield" the
breast from having shirts or bras stick to a nipple that's been traumatized.  I suppose you can
think of it as a shell in that it doesn't really touch the breast - so maybe if I think about turtles I
might get it right.  In the end, I find myself in my more tired moments talking about the
"thingamagiggy" that you put on your breast for pumping.

Finally, I really don't understand how one company can talk about "personal fit" breast shields
when three sizes is hardly what I'd call "personal fit".  How about as many as we have sizes in
clothes?  And even then, being on the incredibly short size, I can tell you even with such a range in
clothes sizes, some of us still have trouble finding something that fits.

Susan Burger