From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 01:16:55 +0200
This is another repeat of several previous messages long ago, plugging
Norwegian COD LIVER OIL, one teaspoon daily, if you would like to boost the
DHA content of your milk, among other things.  Vegetarians must look
elsewhere for natural sources.
Our national council on nutrition recommends this dose to everyone over the
age of 6 weeks, but emphasizes that for artificially fed babies it is really
vital, as they are not receiving the essential fatty acids naturally present
in breast milk.  A slightly different twist from implying that the newer ABM
products are superior to breast milk in this respect.  I don't think we have
the genetically manipulated products on the market yet either, though I
wouldn't know because the industry doesn't advertise in mass media here
either.
Cod liver oil is considered a food, not a supplement, though it certainly
isn't used in cooking (101 easy supper dishes based on cod liver oil which
your family will love, from the Norwegian Fisheries Directorate??).  Many
people balk at swallowing a spoonful of fishy-tasting oil and instead take
Omega-3 capsules, assuming they are getting cod liver oil, but these are
often made from rendered fats from several different kinds of fish, and not
simply concentrated versions of cod liver oil.
And don't even get me STARTED on lutefisk.
Rachel Myr, enjoying many other aspects of Nordic cuisine, in Kristiansand,
Norway