From:
ANN G CAGIGAS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:40:45 -0700
Hi Maureen,
After my late night posting, of which I edited for brevity, it now looks
as if I need to add more. The lit. states that many children and adults
with SLO/RSH are given dietary supplements of Choles. in the natural form
such as egg yolks and cream or "in the form of purified chol. given as
part of several research protocols."  "Special attention must be paid to
the frequent problem of limited formula tolerance because of congenitally
small stomachs and poor GI motility in children with SLO/RSH". And do
you believe that the medical community is wondering why this Mom is
working so hard to establish a milk supply? This baby is on neocare (27
cal/oz) and cholesterol.  Remember, this mother is not producing any
milk.  I remember( the old chart is in the attic and it's 100' and too
hot to go looking for it) that Mom Bf first baby and gave the extra fats
3x/day or so with a supplemetal system but when baby refused she gave it
by psyringe with Bm.  It was only in 1993 that it was discovered that the
real problem was these kids cannot make adequate amounts of choles.
Experimentally this Mom consumed massive amounts of healthy high choles
foods during her pregnancy, even though the lit states that choles. is
not provided by the Mom to the baby before birth.  This was an attempt to
decrease the severity of the syndrome.  This baby is very mildly
involved, who knows if the experiment was successful or it was just meant
to be.
Next question.  If serum prolactin levels of the mother are an indicator
of poor milk supply will the use of metaclopromide be appropriate, she
has Lupus.
TIA,  Ann