From:
Linda Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2010 08:42:06 -0500
Speaking from someone who needs almost total silence in order to concentrate
while taking an exam ... I don't agree with this woman at all!  (the woman
who is p***** because she will not be allowed to have her 3 month old in the
room with her while she takes the exam)  Many women have studied long and
hard in preparation for the IBCLC exam and it would not be "fair" for them
to have a baby cooing or grunting or slurping while they are trying to
concentrate.  We all LOVE babies!!  Obviously, or we wouldnt be in this
profession!  I would be TOTALLY DISTRACTED by the wonderful sounds of the
baby and would be pretty upset that the baby would have been allowed to be
in there.  Yes, she should be allowed to step outside and breastfeed if
needed, but someone running the exam should have to go out with her to make
sure she doesnt look at her notes while out there breastfeeding.  :-)    Why
do people have such strong feelings of "entitlement"????  SHE is being very
disrespectful of the needs of the other women.  If she doesnt feel that she
would be able to take the exam without her baby at her breast, then perhaps
she should wait until the following year when the baby can seperate a bit
longer.

Linda Hill RN, IBCLC
Austin,TX
Capital Pediatric Group