From:
Eric Micah Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 20:25:28 -0700
Hello All!

    I just wanted to give Cyndi some encouragement.

    This was my situation several years ago.   A new nurse was just the
person to get my hospital "shook up".  She arrived with freakish ideas
about breastfeeding and nurses were threatening to write her up for
cup/syringe feeding.....she stood firm, despite everything.   I learned so
much from her.
    I had never seen a mother nurse a toddler until I met her.  What a
wonderful example.  Thank goodness she stuck with it.  Like you, she was
scoffed at, rejected and unsupported. If she had backed down d/t  staff and
doctors, our hospital would still be sabotaging our mother's attempts to
breastfeed.  BTW....she also shook up our L&D staff by choosing to deliver
at home with a midwife, family and friends (myself included).  Absolutely
beautiful!!!
    Perhaps YOU are that same nurse.  Believe it!  My dear friend, Kalani
has moved but she would be happy with the changes she started.  The same
nurses who laughed and threatened her now come to me very openly with
breastfeeding questions.  We also cup/syringe feed all our breastfed
infants and haven't lost one yet to aspiration.  The next new concept for
our nurses is NO SUPPLEMENTATION AT ALL!  Wow.
    Things WILL change!  My hospital is proof of that.  You are your
hospital's "Kalani".  Hang in there.

****Does anyone else find it strange that these nurses are so vehemently
against nipple shields yet have no problem with artificial nipples or
supplementation?****

Good Luck,
    Paula Hancock RN