Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:00:44 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
We also struggle with exhausted moms at our hospital.  We have unlimited visiting hours.  Last December we had a graduate student
researching mother's sleep.  She piloted a mom/baby nap time.  It worked so well that we kept doing it after her study was over.  We have
scheduled nap time from 1:00 - 3:00 pm.  We have posters in the hospital main entrance, the unit entrance, and throughtout the unit explaining
nap time.  We educate the parents and give them the choice.  If they choose to participate, we put a sign on their door that states "Mom and
Baby are Sleeping, Naptime 1-3pm, no Visitors".  We also have the phones shut off.  We close the doors to the unit, turn down the hall lights and
play relaxing music in the hallway (to remind staff to be quiet).  We do no lab draw, nursing assessments, tests, ect during this time, so even if
they do not choose to sleep, they are still given 2 hours without interruptions.  Our patients love it.  If they send their baby to the nursery during
naptime, we do take them out for feedings.  We still have some MD's who round during nap time.  We scold them, but they still come.  With the
exception of a few grandparents who have been turned away it has had rave reviews.
The other thing I do when I work mother/baby is work out a code with my patients.  For example if she calls me and asks for prune juice, that is
my cue to make up an excuse to nicely ask the visitors to leave.
Beckie Trevino, RN, BSN, IBCLC
BryanLGH Medical Center
Lincoln, NE

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2