From:
Janet Vandenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:22:51 -0500
Like Patty I had mixed feelings about the segment with the baby who was
said to have died from an amphetamine overdose.  Yes, they showed that
the baby died because of drugs in the milk.  It that a bad message?  I
am not sure.  Yes we want people to breastfeeding but I am sure that we
would prefer that mums don't do drugs while nursing.  The message wasn't
that she shouldn't have breastfeed.   It was that she didn't know taking
drugs while breastfeeding would hurt her baby.  Now maybe more people
will hear that message.

I think the show tried hard to show breastfeeding in a good light with
Carol.  She was matter of fact about her pumping, had a PIS, didn't
complain about doing it, and didn't freak when the intern drank it.
Very matter of fact. Very much a normal part of life.

I also like that she kept in touch with her nanny thru the episode. She
even had the nanny bring them to her when they needed her. And I esp
liked when she talked about how they were always happy after she nursed
them.

Janet Vandenberg RN, BScN, IBCLC
Ontario, Canada