From:
Cindi Swisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:03:08 -0700
Hi all,
First off all, thanks to those who responded regarding the mother traveling
to Singapore for business.  Special thanks to those in Singapore who helped
her.  She was able to keep her supply up while she was away from baby and
she is thankful for the help.

Another mom has given me permission to ask about her problem.  She is 38yo
and this is her 3rd child (Baby is 6 months old.)  -- 1st child at 28 and
"lots of milk", 2nd child shortly after and a "little less milk", now 8
years since last bf, she feels supply is lowest, but still ok except
immediately after she exercises.

Mom states that for 10 hours or more her after exercise her supply is
decreased.  She feels the supply is decreased because baby doesn't seem
satisfied after a feeding and wants to eat more often.  She states supply
seems back to normal within 24h.  She states the exercise is just medium
strength, no heavy aerobics, just 30 minutes on an elliptical trainer (I
think that's the one that's like skiing).  She states she is drinking plenty
of water.

We did talk about her milk possibly changing taste and baby might not like
the taste (I know that's not absolutely proven, but it's a thought), but she
feels that her supply actually drops after exercise. She states she bf
before exercise and takes a shower and changes clothes after her exercise,
so she doesn't think it is the baby reacting to smells, etc. We talked about
walking as exercise and she states she is able to walk and not lose supply,
but she'd like to do more to lose weight. (>15 lbs over prepregnant).  She
states she has 'tested' this several times and is convinced there is a
correlation, at least in her case.

I told her that I'd never heard of exercise and drop in supply being
connected, but I'd ask you all.  I checked the archives but the only mention
I could find was just the opposite.  So how about it?  Have any of you ever
heard of a connection between the two?

Regards,
Cindi Swisher, RN, IBCLC