From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:50:03 -0500
>One thing you mentioned in your post especially caught my attention.  You said
>"mom wants a perfect birth".  Some counselling here about birth expectations
>may be the best thing for her and her baby right now.  That's a pretty tall
>order and one that, in my experience, can set a woman up for deep feelings of
>failure...

Our Lamaze instructor had had her second child 10 months earlier.  It was a
planned home birth.  Her first labor had been fast, this one was even
faster:  baby was born hastily on the bathroom floor as Dad slid a Chux
under her.  She never even pushed.  She had envisioned laboring on the bed,
surrounded by loving friends, and the loss of her dream made it hard for
her to talk about the birth even 10 months later.  Home birth?  Fast?  No
pushing?  And she was *unhappy* about it????  We all have our dreams...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY