From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:28:32 -0500
Hi all,

After my first post in this thread, Listmom Rachel Myr asked me to
explain what "crowdsourcing" is to the list.  I first learned about it
in April, when I had the good fortune to meet in the flesh Jodine Chase,
whose Lactnet posts I had admired for years.  Jodine and I met in Las
Vegas at the Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA)
conference.  We had a lovely chat, during which she allowed me to pick
her wise marketing brain for ideas on raising funds for worthy causes.

Jodine introduced me to the concept of crowdsourcing, which is a
new-fangled way to raise money on the internet.  One of the most
well-known crowdsourcing websites is Kickstartr, which some filmmakers
use to raise funds for documentaries and such.  Jodine recommended
several site for me to look over.  Turned out Kickstartr exists
primarily to fund for-profit enterprises, which is why Breastfeeding
USA, which is a nonprofit organization, decided to go with Indiegogo, as
it welcomes nonprofits.

Some Lactnet readers may have heard recently about another highly
successful Indiegogo campaign.  A video of a bus monitor being
mercilessly harassed by middle-school children went viral and someone
decided to use crowdsourcing to raise some money to send this poor lady
on a nice vacation.  Next thing you know, they raised more than
$650,000.  Breastfeeding USA should only be so lucky!

I'll take this opportunity again to invite everyone to visit the
Breastfeeding USA Indiegogo campaign page at:
http://www.indiegogo.com/bfusa?a=799432
<http://www.indiegogo.com/bfusa?a=799432>  It features a 3-minute video
on the importance of breastfeeding to women's health and why
mother-to-mother support is key. To read why I support Breastfeeding
USA, see my latest blog post at:
http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/2012/7/16/more-mothers-helping-mothers.html

You'll also find on this Indiegogo page all sorts of amazing donor perks
selected especially for those in lactation: autographed books, the 2012
Medications and Mothers' Milk, 1-hour Skype sessions with two
Lactnetters, even a breastfeeding conference speaker.  I've had a great
introduction to crowdsourcing through this experience. Maybe this can be
a funding source for others in breastfeeding, too.

Warm regards,
Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA, LLLL, Breastfeeding USA Counselor
Chicago suburbs