From:
michelle i scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 22:04:07 -0400
I saw a mom today for latch on assessment.   She has one normal nipple and
one nipple which she referred to as "disorganized".  (probably named that
by a nurse who was trying to be diplomatic)   This is actually the side the
baby prefers!  The nipple has a >l" areola which has 3 protrusions which
look like nipples which are starting to form.   We got the baby on a few
times using this side by making a sandwich which he takes well into his
mouth.
        She has been pumping for the first two weeks while he was in NICU due to
"holes in his lungs" and other problems.   He is slightly below birth wt,
but looks good, and the "O" part of his I & O  is excellent.    She pumps 8
oz from one breast, and 4 oz from the disorganized breast.   If she is
motivated enough I see no reason we can't get this little guy BF in a few
more days.
        Has anyone else had any experience with a nipple like this?
Michelle Scott, RD,IBCLC in NH