From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 09:58:42 -0400
Susan

Have you tried your local and/or state WIC programs for their numbers? This
doesn't give you the # for *all* BFing women/babies, only for those on WIC,
of course, but it does give you one clearly defined set of numbers. In our
area of NY, over half of the babies in the county are on WIC, so it's not a
small proportion of the general population. I don't know of other places
that would keep these figures, necessarily - doctors' offices or clinics
might or (more likely) not, but I know that WIC keeps very detailed #'s.
Local program is more likely to have accurate #s than state, and info is
broken down by county, which is important and interesting data to have to
compare with a study group.

BTW - maybe this is just a personal quirk, but I hate the term "BF failure
rate". Failure as defined by whom? BF as defined by what parameters? Those
of us in the lactation biz, when finding it necessary to speak in
statistical terms, tend to find it more useful to refer to the "initiation"
and "duration" rates. This also matches the language of the "Healthy People
2000" initiative and public health goals.

Cathy Bargar RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY